Saturday, February 12, 2011

Rock Hands




My endless restlessness has gotten the better of me and I've started a new series of paintings focusing on hands playing the guitar. So far I have four pieces going and the one above is of Jason Hutto's hands from the last official show of his band The Phonocaptors. This was about 6 years ago or so? I lose track. I do remember it being at the now closed Hi-Pointe and the place was packed.

I had just come from the Tap Room where Milton Mapes (now known as Monahans) had played a great, short set and by the time I got to the Hi-Pointe there were maybe 300 people or something? I pushed my way to the front and waited on the side of the stage for the band to start. It was an exhilarating set and I just about got the whole thing on film. The Phonocaptors stopped playing partially due to their bass player joining The Bottle Rockets. The drummer went on to play in some bands and Hutto kept busy with bands (Warm Jets USA being his current), running a small studio and working with Jay Farrar on a number of projects.

now playing - AC/DC